Thousands of Minnesotans gather in solidarity with Israel
October 11, 2023
Thank you to the thousands of Minnesotans – from within and beyond our Jewish community – who came together last night at Beth El Synagogue and virtually for our Community Gathering in Solidarity with Israel.
At this time, when our hearts are breaking, we are all grateful for the outpouring of love and unwavering support for the people of Israel.
At this time, when too many question the basic human rights of Israelis to live peacefully in their own homes, we were inspired by the leadership and moral clarity of Governor Tim Walz, Senator Amy Klobuchar, Secretary of State Steve Simon (who collectively spoke for the dozens of other elected officials, both Democrats and Republicans, in the sanctuary), Rabbi Alexander Davis, and JCRC executive director Steve Hunegs.
At this time, when it is tempting to succumb to despair, our souls were lifted by the beautiful music from our community’s cantors who, under the leadership of Beth El’s Cantor Ben Tisser, modeled collaboration.
At this time, when too many are turning a blind eye to the horrors of the single worst massacre of Jews since the Holocaust, we were deeply moved by the painfully honest stories of suffering and resilience shared by Tal Dror Rouache, Shai Avny, and Ben Ribnick.
At this time, when the people of Israel need not our moral and financial support, we were motivated to give and give again by the exhortations of James Cohen and Ted Flaum, representing the Minneapolis and St. Paul Jewish Federations.
And at this time, when we will only be able to meet this moment by working together, our JCRC was so grateful to partner with the Minneapolis Jewish Federation, St. Paul Jewish Federation, Minnesota Rabbinical Association, Minnesota Cantors Assembly, TC Jewfolk, and our host Beth El Synagogue in presenting last night’s program.
Am Yisrael Chai
Photos by Darrell Owens Photography
Solidarity Gathering Media Coverage
- MPR News: ‘People do not want bombings’: Minnesota Jewish community gathers after attack on Israel
- Star Tribune: Minnesotans gather to show support for Israel, Palestinians
- KARE 11: ‘How can I help?’: Gathering held at Beth El Synagogue to show support for Israel
- WCCO: Minnesotans showed their support for Israel after Hamas terrorist attacks
- KSTP: Outpouring of emotion in Minnesota following Hamas attacks on Israel
- FOX 9: St. Louis Park synagogue welcomes hundreds to show solidarity with Israel
- TC Jewfolk: Capacity Crowd Packs Beth El In Show Of Solidarity With Israel